Monday, June 11, 2012

Chili Verde

I have been a pescaterian (person who eats fish but no other meat) for a little more then 7 years. In that time frame I have converted many "home style" meals into low fat animal friendly ones. My family still eats meat, so almost everything I cook comes with the Veggie option or the Meat option. I have found that this works out great and I only have to cook one meal that pleases all. One other note, I feed lots of people, their is always enough to go around plus left overs. Beware most of my Mexican dishes are HOT so half the spicy if you are afraid...

This is best as a topping over your favorite burrito! Most the time I cook Fish or Roast Serrano peppers for my Veggie Burrito filling.

Vegetarian Chili Verde

2 TBL Olive Oil
3 TBL Flour
3 Cans Vegetable Broth/Stock
6 Cloves Garlic
2 Jalapenos Seeded and Diced
1 (16 oz) can Green Chili's
1 TBL. Ground Cumin
2 tea New Mexico Chili Powder
1 tea Oregano
1 1/2 tea Salt
1 tea Ground Black Pepper
Chopped Cilantro, for garnish

In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium high and slowly whisk in flower. I will form a bit of a blob of oily flower, slowly whisk in broth half a cup at a time. The mixture should thicken and become the consistency of gravy. While gravy mix thickens add garlic and jalapenos to a blender and puree. Then add the puree, canned chili's, and spices to the gravy mixture and simmer for 15 minutes.

Pork Chili Verde

2 LBS Pork Loin Cubed
2 TBL Olive Oil 
1 TBL Flour

In a different large skillet heat the oil over medium high heat. Brown Pork then remove from skillet and set aside. Slowly mix in flour until absorbed, then add half the gravy mix slowly.


In only a few extra minutes you can please the entire family! 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment